BROWSER/OS INFORMATION FOR VIEWING HAWAIIAN CHARACTERS
Some combinations of browsers and operating systems may not display Hawaiian
characters properly. Ulukau and its constituent sites have been designed
primarily to display well with the Safari browser or the Firefox browser
under Mac OS 10.2 or greater, and Internet Explorer or the Firefox browser under
Windows 2000, XP, or later. However, other combinations of browsers and
operating systems may still work well.
If you have difficulty viewing Ulukau with your particular browser/OS
combination please see the sections below.
Mac OS X
- Early versions of Mac OS X may not display Hawaiian characters properly. We
recommend updating to version 10.2 or greater if you have one of these older
- We recommend Firefox, or the use of the Safari web browser, which is the default web
browser for OS 10.3 and greater. Other browsers used under OS X may not display
Hawaiian characters as well as Safari or Firefox.
Classic Mac OS
- Macintosh operating systems prior to OS X do not have good unicode support
and so will not display Hawaiian characters well within Ulukau.
Windows 2000, XP and Vista
- We recommend Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows 2000,
XP and Vista. Both of these browsers will display Hawaiian characters well.
Windows 95, 98, and Me
- We recommend Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Unfortunately Windows 95, 98, and Millennium edition (Me) do not have a
default font capable of displaying the Hawaiian ʻokina character. To view
Hawaiian characters correctly on these operating systems you must therefore install
Microsoft's "universal font" (also called Arial Unicode
MS). This font comes as part of Microsoft Office and may be installed by
following the instructions found here.
Unix and Linux
- Most modern linux and unix-like operating systems should be able to view
Hawaiian characters correctly using Firefox or the Mozilla web browser.
Note on audio / video
- Parts of Ulukau use Flash technology for playing audio / video segments. Most users already have Flash version 8 or above on their computers and should not experience any difficulties. Users can download the latest version of the Flash plugin for free by visiting this site by clicking on the "Download Now" button.